(At Lock Vale, Rocky Mountain National Park. After I took this picture, I went and climbed a waterfall. No kidding.)
If you are new to this site, let’s start from the beginning, shall we?
I have not yet purchased my flight ticket to Yangon, but after some initial planning, it’s roughly seven weeks till I arrive in Myanmar. Till then, I want to get myself into the habit of writing the weekly roundup. Here is my first trial.
I decided to name this one “- (negative) 7.” As weeks go by and Myanmar comes close, this number will inevitably goes up to zero, and later positive.
Some things I’m reading
- This Time story about what trans men see that women don’t: thanks for the recommendation, Cece!
- This journalist applied to be the guard of a CCA private prison, worked there for four months and wrote about it: this is a good recovery material after finishing OITNB Season 4 last week.
- This Wash Post developing story on Philando Castile.
- How Wall Street Bro Talk Keeps Women Down, The New York Times: excruciatingly painful to read.
Some things I’m watching
- The Good Wife Season 1: I know, I know, I’m late to the trend, but I counted: if I kill one season a week, I can finish the whole show before leaving the U.S.
- Netflix’s first Japanese original mini-series: Hibana/Spark: just starting this one. It’s depressing, but a damn good piece of work.
- The New York Times Op-Doc about Norman Lear, Not Dead Yet: two scenes in this short made me literally LOLed. One at the beginning, one towards the end. See if you can spot it.
- All the cringeworthy comments Gretchen Carlson at Fox had to endure on air before she was fired.
- This talk by Trevor Noah.
- Btw, I finally watched the movie Spotlight on Netflix.
Some things I’m listening to
- The latest two episodes of NPR’s Invisibilia: Frame of Reference & The Problem with the Solution
- Nouvelle Vague Late Night Tales, ft. Anja Garbarek